Our Gender-Obsessed World


When I was about nine years old, my mom was pregnant with my last sibling and everyone was excited to know if the baby would turn out to be a girl or boy. My brother really wanted another boy seeing as he already had two older sisters. Having a brother would mean having a sibling to do all the 'boyish' stuff with. Of course my sister and I really wanted a younger sister. It would mean another sibling to do the things that we love (yes, I admit that there was a tint of selfishness there). Eventually, fate took the side of the girls and we were both shrieking when my mom revealed that we were going to be having a sister after she returned from her ultrasound appointment. Now, ten years after that episode, I look back at the somewhat ridiculousness of it all.

 

The sex of the baby wasn't meant to have really been that big of a deal to us but in our little heads we were already assigning roles to the baby based on what 'girls should act like' and what 'boys should act like,' because to us sex and gender were one and the same. At least I know now that sex refers to the biological truth that a baby possesses a vagina or penis (e.g. male, female, intersex etc.) while gender is a social construct. It refers to the behaviours and roles attached to femininity and masculinity by society. Bouncing new born babies are born into this world with a 'genderless brain’ but buy the time such phrases like 'boys don't cry' keep reoccurring in their minds, they officially become socialized citizens of the society. Hence, the difference in behaviours between the sexes is not a biological truth but a social construct.

 

By the time I was twelve, I could ride a bicycle expertly and so could every single sibling of mine too. I remember one day that my dad made all of us cycle around were I spent most of my childhood in Marina (an area in Lagos). We got to this roundabout and next thing I knew, the passers-by were pointing fingers at my sisters and I while saying, 'Wo! awon omoobirin n gun kįŗ¹kįŗ¹!' which means, 'Look! girls are riding bicycles!' I understood Yoruba so I was beaming in my helmet and pink bicycle and also showing them some of my 'cool moves.' It felt as if we were celebrities who just dropped by to say hello to fellow Lagosians. Anytime I remember that episode, I laugh at the fact that it made me feel special. However, this episode personally reflects how much everything is gendered by the society.



Pink shirts with fluffy sleeves and flowery motif are usually bought for girls while blue shirts are warmly handed over to the boys during the festive Christmas season; dolls for girls and trucks, trains and soldiers for boys; princess stories for girls and superhero stories for boys; soccer for boys and make-up for girls; clothing stores are separated into boys' and girls' sections; expression of emotions is also categorised into what is acceptable for different genders; our speeches usually begin with a resounding 'ladies and gentlemen'; religion assigns gender roles; even simple roll-on and body sprays are assigned to different sexes or genders! Literally every facet of life is 'gendered.'



It is no wonder that things can get rather claustrophobic for Trans genders, Agenders (non-binaries) and other non-conforming people because of how much these stereotypes become the only acceptable versions of what people should be. In some places, people carry out sex-selective abortions and mount pressure on their wives (which sometimes puts their health in danger) just so that a boy can be birthed into the world. Perhaps, it is because they think boys will end up being more productive economically or they will get a sense of pride and honour by having a son or to ensure that someone carries on the family name. In these set-ups, boys are seen as assets who will grow up to become future breadwinners or men who will grow up to take care of their parents in their old age. Sometimes it even boils down to mentalities that boys are always better at all things math and science so much so that a rich man becomes so desperate for a son since he cannot afford to throw his oil company into the hands of his 'dumb' daughters, or worse still, sons-in-law.



On the other hand, some of these gender stereotypes paint girls as liabilities who will eventually be married off to one Bello or Tunde somewhere or maybe even one wealthy man called Chuka. The thought of paying dowries in some communities makes poor families abhor the thought of a girl child. Once the midwife announces that it is a girl (again), more hatred swells for the innocent baby. Eventually, some families will settle for training her to be the most sought-after bride in the fairest of lands so they can finally eat the fruits of their labor when one Alhaji comes running shamelessly to the front of their door because he has been enticed by her budding breasts. What a world, indeed! Don't think that these mentalities are only present among those in rural areas or among the uneducated, they also creep among those in the metropolis, the rich and supposedly 'exposed' people.


These gender stereotypes and unconscious bias go a long way to shape people's self-perception and define the way that people treat others. They affect our attitudes in relationships; influence our participation in the world of work and even affect our academic performance. Sometimes these stereotypes contain a speck of truth but they can also be setbacks to people's emotional, political, social and economic growth. Two ways gender obsession and stereotyping are harmful, are the ways that things are devalued because they're associated with women and the way some things are associated with women because they appear degrading. For example, sewing is a hugely successful skill that is undervalued because over centuries it has become associated with women, whereas things like tight dresses are designated as things for women because they appear degrading.



There is nothing so terrible about embracing traditional femininity and masculinity and there should be nothing so shameful about deciding to be non-conforming. Some of us are lost in a labyrinth of all these complexities and therefore decide to remain neutral or mix both aspects of femininity and masculinity. Whatever your path is, ask yourself if that is the path that you truly want to take or the path that you feel that you are assigned to stick to. Whatever your answer is, you are the main character of your life so you don't have to let others steal the show. 

Some people have suggested that the world should become gender neutral. Do you think so too? Some people don't attach a sex or gender to their children but instead give them a choice to make their own decision until when they get older. Does that make sense to you and would you do that? Can gender stereotypes have a positive side to them? Let's hear your take on it!

 

Comments

  1. Great work here Tolu!
    I see why the people want the world to be gender neutral to allow the non- conforming members of the society be free, but for those that do conform to the societal standards for genders, it might be uncomfortable or not resonate well with them. So, as much as gender neutral spaces should exist, gendered spaces should still be kept. I, personally would attach a gender to my child/children but still let them do things not bound by the societal gender roles but what they have a passion for. I don't think there's any positive side to gender stereotypes, it's only positive if the people like these stereotypes or can succeed and be themselves within these boundaries which means they're only good when beneficial.

    Also, grammatical mistakes should be taken note of to make the writing more fluid for readers. Once again, great piece here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback Serena! noted. Don't forget to subscribe!

      Delete
  2. Also as the 25th person to comment, you are welcome to give me a topic that you want me to write on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, this really resonates with me. What made pink female or blue male? How does being female equal caretaker of everybody? And low-key, we know it doesn't make sense but that's mostly where it ends. I think so long as you're not hurting anyone, you should get to be whoever you want to be. ~Kamare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Funny enough pink used to be for boys and blue for girls till WWII. Goes to show that it's(gender) just a social construct.I'm glad it resonates with you.

      Delete
  4. First things first, this is another masterpiece. We unconsciously follow these gender stereotypes,sometimes, not because we want to but because it is the status quo- we see everyone do this so it seems normal. Who said that Rich Man's daughter cannot manage his oil empire? Why must it be his son? Why can't my son wear pink (if that's what he loves)? Why must I shove the colour blue down his throat, because that's what 'boys' wear? Who even made that so? Who says my daughter must not play soccer (because it's a male sport)? All these and more consist of these gender stereotypes. Like Serena, I would attach genders to my kids but that is where it ends. Whatever the hell (lol permit my language) they want to do in this world, they shall do- God help them. Their dreams shall not be aborted because society says, 'a woman cannot do this' or 'this is what a man is meant to do'. Some facets of society should be gender neutral while others should not in so far as no one is being suffocated and everyone is allowed to be the best versions of themselves (and not limited by these annoying stereotypes). Society should stop handing itself the very chains by which it is bound. Abolish all un-progressive stereotypes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deborah Tassie7 July 2020 at 06:28

    Wow, I like this. I like this a lot. I was able to notice a few grammatical errors but nothing that can't be polished up on with a bit more editing. I love this article. I understand the gender being a societal concept point and it goes a long way to say that the world we live in today is becoming more and more claustrophobic. To some extent, I do agree that the world should be gender neutral. I should be allowed to wear ''boy clothes'' and boys shouldn't stand out for wearing pink or floral prints. We are allowed to express ourselves through our clothing choices as we so desire. About attaching sex to your child, I will not lie. I am bound to do it and that's the fact. I can imagine telling my son ''I don't consider you a boy or girl, you're just a human being to me'' and he will go to school, thinking that the notion is 100% normal. Despite what I tell him, he will definitely be considered a ''weirdo'' having that kind of mindset in a typical Nigerian school. In as much as gender neutrality should be well established, the society does look down on such, especially in our country. Nobody wants to know if you're non-binary, they only see you as male or female; a girl or a boy and that does suck. If you ask me, most of the ''advantages'' established from gender stereotypes are also societal. One may say ''You are a girl and you should never forget this. Don't go around posting such revealing pictures. It reduces your worth. No man wants to marry a girl that has been seen by everyone'', but at the end of the day, just as my sister would say 'Who that one help?'. Not every woman wants to be attached to a man to look after, to cook his meals, clean his house or even have his children. And I think that that's a 100% fine. Marriage should not be considered a do-or-die affair for women but our society doesn't see it that way either. Our society needs a bit of a change I'd say and this is one small step towards making a big change. I'm proud! Give us more please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwn thanks for this insightful comment. This is quite encouraging to hear and I hope more people will get to understand that some things are just a matter of self expression. Not everything is so 'straight-jacketed.'

      Delete
  6. I'm totally with Serena, Chinonye and Deborah on this. I don't see myself not attaching a gender to my child. I would do it, but i'm not going to limit their lives and dreams to gender roles created by society. If I am cooking, I wouldn't say daughters why are you not here? If I want them to learn to cook, all my children, both boys and girls will be present. If the girls end up not liking it as much as the boys, fine! Some things aren't meant for everyone. I wouldn't limit my boys to wear cool colours that are mostly seen as masculine. If you like the pink shirt with flowers, go ahead! I think we really need to change perceptions on how people should be in society. A lot of this has been passed along from generation to generation and it has weaved itself into the fabric of our lives. But who said we can't loosen those threads that are causing us to be tied down to this social construct, and fix ourselves into gender roles because society said so. Yes, it would be difficult, but we can do this. I'm not going to hurt their dreams because, boys do this, and girls do that! If you want to do something, but your all into it and you can achieve it. If as a girl, you want to do something in what is known as a 'man's world', all the more reason you should push yourself and show them that because I am female does not mean I cannot do this. Be your own person, because it is what you want, not because society dictates for you to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very apt. At least we are getting somewhere with our mentalities.

      Delete
  7. I'm in awe of this article
    What's your insta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hi. It's 'Toluwa 20.'
      Curious to know who you are!

      Delete

Post a Comment